The Mud Lake Historical Society was founded on July 3, 1990 in celebration of the 100th anniversary of the State of Idaho. The Mud Lake Historical Society is dedicated to the preservation of the history of the Mud Lake and surrounding areas. The Mud Lake Historical Society and Museum is located in the city of Mud Lake on Highway 33, two miles west of Terreton, Idaho.
We became incorporated on March 9, 2004. We are a 501-C3 non-profit organization.
MUSEUM CURATOR - LaGay Reiss
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
PRESIDENT - Lester Reiss
SECRETARY/TREASURER - Justin Petersen
PROGRAM DIRECTOR - Trish Petersen
BOOK COMMITTEE - Debbie Caudle
MEMBERSHIP - Linda Torgerson
DIRECTOR - Holly Burtenshaw
HISTORIAN - Rob Allen
The Mud Lake Mercantile, originally built in the lot to the east of the present-day building, was built by Pete & Fannie Kuharski in 1935. Ray & Pat Smith purchased the Merc from Mr. Kuharski in 1946.
The current building was built in 1959 and now serves as home to the Mud Lake Historical Society and Museum collections and archives.
Mud Lake was founded in the early 1900's as an agricultural community. Local residents had long spoken of “going to Mud Lake” when they were going to the Mud Lake Merc or the nearby businesses. The store had been named by its founder to show it was meant to serve the entire community and was located centrally in the area. The general store operated for several decades in the center of town. After being closed for many years, the Historical Society acquired the property from Charlie Braun, which we are very grateful for.
August 7-11, 2012 was the grand opening week of the newly remodeled building. Many hours were donated and contributed to remodeling and arranging displays in the new building which we now enjoy.
Our aim is to gather & preserve the heritage of our past while installing in the present generation a feeling of appreciation for their heritage.